- Does the SCM record clients in its configuration when they are run? Probably not. How would it record the executable path, for example? We should find a way to make this more automatic.
- Provide methods to read/write SCM configuration.
- service_client --register #registers its configuration using above methods
- The above command can be called by waf during build to eliminate user intervention. The clients are already registered and ready for use upon installation!
- Can we rename the SCM's shutdown function to "kill" (and perhaps redefine its functionality) or something that can't be confused with xmmsc_service_shutdown?
- Can we change the default value of the "monitor" option (to check the configuration directory for updates) to true? This seems to cooperate much better with user expectations.
- Can we get rid of the "timeout" option (to wait before killing a service client after a shutdown request is received)? If we rename the method to "kill" its intentions will be a lot more obvious--take down the client now.
Wednesday, July 23, 2008
Next on the Agenda...
Well, the client-side of things is mostly done for now, so it's time I turned my attention to the remaining items. The server side of things needs to be updated/fixed and the service client manager (SCM) needs updating. The server is fairly straightforward, but I have some concerns about the SCM.